Annual review 2015
There are three Essential Skills in Demand lists:
- Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL)
- Immediate Skill Shortage List (ISSL)
- Canterbury Skill Shortage List
For many migrants these are important lists as it might be easier to get your visa approved if your occupation is on one of these lists AND you meet the exact requirements on the list.
Immigration New Zealand completes a review of the Long Term and Immediate Skills Shortage list every year.The new and revised lists are effective from today (30 March 2015).
The Canterbury Skill Shortage list is reviewed several times a year.
How do the changes affect you
If you do not have a job offer or work in New Zealand yet, do not be alarmed either. Just because these occupations have been removed from the shortage lists, that doesn’t mean there isn’t still a high demand for them.
If you just want to start your EOI process or your EOI has not been selected from the pool double check that
- you have not claimed (bonus) points that you are not entitled to
- you still have enough points to make the required pass mark
If you are concerned about how this might affect your immigration prospects, call Feija on +64 (0)22 381 5145 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m happy to look with you at your situation and see what the best option is for you.
Long Term Skill Shortage List
Summary of changes
- remove External Auditor
- remove the following 19 occupations for which there have been very low volumes of work visas over the last five years and for which other immigration options are more suited
- remove two occupations (Construction Project Manager (Chip sealing, Asphalt or other Technical Manager) (Roading and Infrastructure) and Environmental Research Scientist (Water Quality Analyst)) which have separate over-lapping listings on the LTSSL and are therefore redundant
- move University Lecturer from the LTSSL to the ISSL.
There has also been a tightening of requirements for Registered Nurses (Critical Care and Emergency, Medical, and Perioperative). Now to meet the LTSSL requirements, these nurses must have five years’ post-qualification experience.
All other LTSSL occupations remain unchanged.
Immediate Skill Shortage list
Summary of changes
- remove External Auditor and Flying Instructor (Glider Pilot Instructor)
- remove Other Sports Coach or Instructor (Skydive Instructor) which has a separate over-lapping listing on the ISSL.
- remove the following 23 occupations for which there have been very low volumes of work visas over the last five years and for which other immigration options are more suited
Resident Medical Officer is being retained on the ISSL, with experience requirements being increased to two years’ post-qualification experience.